Traveling Vintage Bus Repair and Maintainence prices and services. Updated 2024

I have been traveling all around the Midwest working on vintage coaches. I have traveled from southern Alabama to Minesota from my home base if Indianapolis Indiana to help coach owners work on their buses. My 1947 PD3751 is my workshop and traveling base of operations. The further the drive there is a higher hourly minimum. Within the last month I have worked on the following

MCI 8v71 installing heads and Jake brakes. Fort Wayne Indiana 16 hrs labor

Prevost 8v71 rodded and rebuilt radiator, replaced quick release air brake valve, and replaced power steering hydraulic line that the rear end wore a hole into. St. Paul Mn 30 hrs labor

4104 fixed non operational rear brake, replaced all 3 leveling valves, replaced rear plated air bag, rebuilt front left radius rod mount, and set the ride height. Huntsville Al 48 hrs labor

3751 went through the engine and freed 5 stuck injectors, set exhaust valves and injector timing and brought a long slumbering 671 back to life. Replaces wheel seals, bearing and race along with cleaning and adjusting the brake systems. Fixed a stuck brake release valve, added new springs, replace wheel studs and more. 40 hrs labor Troy Al

4106 removed radiator and disassembled the top end so it can get brazed to,fix a crack. Nashville Tn 1 hrs labor

4106 rebuilt front right radius rod support mount. Lots of fabrication and added support to substructure. Chicago IL 36 man hours emergency holiday weekend repair.

I will work along side you to help you do coach maintenance. I have a bus full of tools and specialty Detroit tools to work on most vintage coaches. Please contact me if you are in need of some mechanical help on your bus. Most shops charge $100-$150 per hour in labor and no way will they let you work along side them. Your help, even if it's just handing me tools allowed me to,work faster and more productive plus it allows you to learn how to do some of the tasks and gets you more familiar with your coach systems. I travel and stay in my bus and only require a 20a standard electric service. I charge $1 per mile to get to your location and $75 per hour for my wrench turning time. The further from Indy I travel I do have some hourly minimum requirements that go up to 40 hrs. I once replaced a rod, piston, and liner for a 6v71 in a parking lot in under 8 hours to get the driver safely back on his near 1000 mile trip home.

I work hard and don't take a lot of breaks. I have many manuals for lots of different types of vintage coaches from highway to transit. My winter is slow so I am looking for new work. If you need some maintainence done on your coach please consider contacting me for some help. Scott@busgreasemonkey.com

When I can link a few trips together you can save big on the mileage fees and I just decide them equally.
Prices subject to change

1947 GMC 3751-653 Silversides

Tennessee (hickman county) 45 min SW of Nashville

Comments

• The last few weeks have been very busy. I've been in Kentucky working on a 4104 Detroit diesel 671, and in Indiana working on a MC-7. Check out the brake discovery on the mc7 caused by a leaky wheel seal. It also had spun wheel bearings and spindle damage. Waiting on a mobile axle surgeon to fix the spindles. I also replaced every air bag on the mc7. That's 10 air bags if your counting.

• Some recent fun Detroit diesel finds. Just a little wear on a fuel injector follower. Oil bath air filter completely filled with water

• edited January 1
    2024 prices

No travel appointments are available in 2024

We are not open for business to the general public. Only Patreon members are eligible to schedule services at our homestead in TN https://www.patreon.com/busgreasemonkey

Hourly shop labor rates (Centerville TN area)

$160/hr with client helping, working, learning
    $175/hr working without client’s physical assistance.

Minimum 2 billable hrs per day (includes waiting on parts days) (weekends excluded) m-f

$500 non refundable service call retainer required

30a electrical hookup provided in camping fee $25 per night

We also offer camping sites where you can work on your own bus. $165 per day includes usage of our tools and up to one hour a day of assistance. Engine rebuilds or any extensive maintenance can be performed here. This is a great option for full time rv’ers to accomplish maintenance themselves. 30a electric, water included and remote dump station access.

• Out of frame rebuild i just completed

• Check out my YouTube channel for recent work.

Https://www.youtube.com/c/busgreasemonkey