About BusGreaseMonkey.com

2»

Comments

• Video of replacing a cylinder liner kit on a detroit diesel IL 671

1947 GMC 3751-653 Silversides

Tennessee (hickman county) 45 min SW of Nashville

• This week on the forum, converting an old silverside bus rear single chamber air brake system to a new modern dual chamber 30/30 spring brake.

• Another new project, spray foam insulation inside the bus.

Check out this video on YouTube:

• This past week we drove to Fargo ND to fix a broke down 71 series bus. The bus was puking oil out of the air box and way down on power. With that information we headed there with some spare parts including a few different sizes of cylinder kits and a spare blower. After arriving we started the bus and clearly noticed it was not running on all cylinders and probably a quart a min of oil was coming from the air box drains. We remove the valve covers and shorted the injectors to see what cylinders were not firing. Number one was not working, a quick inspection of the blower lobes showed that the oil was not coming from the blower seals. We then removed the inspection plates on the airbox and quickly saw a broken liner on number one and a nasty looking piston. We pulled the head and removed the oil pan then pulled the liner and removed the piston. We replace the liner and piston and had the bus back running good in about 5 hrs of work all done in a parking lot. The bus then continued on to northern canada on a near thousand mile trip back home. Here is the piston that was removed. The rings are stuck to the piston and serious damage to the piston. The whole story is documented on the forum with more photos and video.

• Here is a video that shows some of the progress on my 1947 pd3751 bus conversion.

• Today I added power drawer locks to my kitchen cabinet drawers.

This was the cool little trick I learned at the bus grease monkey rally. I now have power drawer locks for my cabinets.

Showing the mounting in the back of the drawers

• I had a spectacular breakdown in my 3751 coming home to Indiana from the arcadia rally in Fl. 260 miles from home my fan made contact with the radiator. The good news was that I had it back on the road and drove it home after only a 12 hr delay. I pulled the radiator and with the help of a friend that lived about 50 miles from where I broke down we soldered up as best we could my radiator. My son brought me a spare 8v71 fan that I had sitting in my shop and we cut it to length to fit. Reassembled and filled with water and I got it back home without any other issues.

• Today I was repairing a starter on my 671 that was just clicking and not turning. I cleaned the contacts and flipped the disk inside the solinoid. Before and after photos with a video.